Weekend Lockdown in Istanbul, Turkey Dec 2020
- 🎬 Video
- ℹ️ Description
Some useful websites below
Turkey has implemented a weekend lockdown from 4th of December for Turkish citizens and residents. The lockdown on weekends starts from 9pm on fridays and ends at 5am on mondays and people are only allowed out to buy essentials, there's also a nightly curfew on weekdays from 9pm to 5am but the restrictions above don't apply to tourists, meaning we can go out anytime. During the week everything is open as usual (following the curfew times) and on weekends a few things are still open (supermarkets, some tourist attractions and very few restaurants), the restaurants are only serving takeaway and costumers are not allowed to dine in, this applies on weekdays as well as weekends.
We try to follow the restrictions as much as possible like the locals do but since we have the freedom this weekend we decided to go out for a stroll and see for ourselves how was a weekend lockdown in Istanbul and here are our findings
- Public transportation is operating as usual (so it seemed)
- Very few places who serve food are open (but you can always find something so don't worry you won't starve)
- Locals and residents are complying to the restrictions, everyone we saw out today were all tourists and the occasional guy walking his dog, feeding the stray cats, going to/from work or grabbing some essentials from the corner shop (fines apply for those who don't and police is always on the look-out, again tourists are exempt from this rule)
- Some tourists attractions seem to be open (Galata Tower viewpoint)
- Streets are empty so good opportunity to snap photos.
This is it, if you have any questions just drop a comment below.
Stay safe everyone.
JOIN THE JOURNEY:
➳Travelgramers ✈ As a couple 🇵🇹 we want to see the world 🌎🌍🌏 and inspire you to venture out and explore 🌱
Currently Backpacking Southeast Asia