Erdogan visits al-Aqsa mosque, meets Shalom
- 🎬 Video
- ℹ️ Description
1. Exterior of Al Aqsa mosque compound
2. Israeli security in the alley leading to the Al Aqsa compound
3. Religious figures awaiting Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan
4. Convoy of Erdogan arriving
5. Erdogan greeting religious figures
6. Erodgan walking with group towards the compound
7. View of Al Aqsa mosque
8. Erdogan arriving at the compound of the Al Aqsa mosque accompanied by his wife
9. Erdogan entering compound
10. Erdogan entering mosque
11. Erdogan touring compound
12. Various photo opportunities of Israeli Foreign Minister Silvan Shalom and Erdogan
Guarded by scores of Israeli and Palestinian security officials, Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan on Monday visited the Al Aqsa Mosque, Islam's third-holiest site and one of the most politically sensitive areas in the region.
Erdogan, in the region on a two-day visit, is meeting Palestinian leaders on Monday.
He held talks with Israeli leaders on Sunday in an effort to repair strained relations with the Jewish state.
In a sign of closer ties, Israel and Turkey said they would set up a hot line for instant communications on terror threats.
On Monday morning, Erdogan, whose party has its roots in Turkey's Islamic movement, arrived at the disputed site in the Old City known as the Temple Mount to Jews and the Noble Sanctuary to Muslims.
The site, which once held the biblical Jewish Temples and now holds Al Aqsa, is claimed by both Jews and Muslims.
Erdogan was surrounded by dozens of Israeli security guards when he arrived at the compound.
In his trip here, Erdogan, only the second Turkish prime minister to visit Israel, said he hoped to offer himself as a mediator in the conflict between the Palestinians and Israel.